Applications are currently being accepted for 2019 Visiting Artist Residencies. The application deadline is Friday, November 1, 2019, by midnight PST (Pacific Standard Time).
Each year, Museum of Glass invites artists to apply for a Visiting Artist Residency in the Hot Shop, to explore new techniques or continue a current series. Selected artists have full use of our state-of-the-art Hot Shop and the assistance of our Hot Shop Team.
Application Visiting Artist Residency
Approximately 4 slots are available for applicants, including the Sheldon Levin Memorial Application Visiting Artist Residency for artists whose work draws connections between science and art.
Sheldon Levin Memorial Application Visiting Artist Residency
Sheldon Levin started his volunteer career with Museum of Glass as a charter docent, participating in the first docent and volunteer training in 2002. He quickly started emceeing on Thursdays in the Hot Shop interpreting glassblowing techniques, helping thousands of visitors understand the art of glassblowing from both artistic and scientific perspectives. To honor his memory, Museum of Glass invites artists who are inspired by connections between art and science to apply for the Sheldon Levin Memorial Application Visiting Artist Residency.
Additional Application Details:
- Residencies are open to artists from all artistic mediums
- Artists work up to 5 days in the MOG Hot Shop
- Artists work in full view of Museum visitors during the hours that the Museum is open to the public (Wednesday–Saturday 10 am-5 pm, Sunday 12-5 pm)
- Exclusive use of the Hot Shop and support of up to three Hot Shop Team members and two days *(8 hours) of basic coldworking during the residency
- Artists present a public lecture (Sunday, 2–3 pm)
- Artists retain ownership of the work created during the residency
- Artists will donate up to two works — one piece made during the residency for the Museum's collection (selected in collaboration with the Museum staff) and one piece for the Museum's annual auction
- Artists are responsible for travel to and from Museum of Glass, accommodations, color, and special order materials
- Artists are responsible for initiating packing, insurance, and shipping arrangements for artwork PRIOR to residency
What does the selection committee look for in a compelling application?
Our selection committee looks for proposals that are clear and concise, and are supported by photographs of prototypes or concept sketches. Priority will be given to artists who are experimenting with new ideas or techniques.
I’ve been at MOG recently – can I reapply?
If you an artist who has received a Residency at MOG, we ask that you abstain from applying for a residency for three (3) years.
Is there any wiggle room with the submission deadline?
No. Submit application by deadline (11/1/19) to ensure consideration – late applications will not be reviewed. Applicants will receive a confirmation email upon delivery of application to MOG.